Re: [IP] re: basal and skipping meals

Frankly, there may be people who switching to a pump isn't really worthwhile.

But A1c is not the only reason.  My A1c level were ranging around 7.1 or so,
which isn't bad on injections.  While I wanted to lower it more, but bigger
issue was hypoglycemic episodes.  I was having frequent lows.  My doctor was
much more concerned about lows than anything else. Even though I have
absolutely NO hypo-unwareness, he was afraid that I could develop it overtime,
which would be dangerous.

So, on the pump, I have reduced the frequency of lows as well as reduced the
severity of the lows I do have.  I rarely have a low in the 50s or lower
 anymore compared to pre-pump days. Also, you CAN tailor your basal better than
on long-acting insulins so that you can go without eating at all if you want,
or eat whatever you want.  While you can accomplish this on shots, it isn't
nearly as easy, and typically includs multiple injections of long-acting
insulin.  (I used a 3 and 4 shot a day regimen of NPH before switching to
Lantus to get better basal control.)

Of course, even if giving 4+ shots a day doesn't bother you (I used to give as
many as 7-8 in a day), it continues to cause scar tissue over time.  So,
frequent injections have a LONG-TERM problem of tissue damage compared to the
pump as well.

Finally, you can get much better control over your boluses, which is very nice
for those who have higher insulin sensitivity.  Injections, you can't get
better than a .5 unit accuracy, if that...plus, there is always the risk
of "leaking" some of the insulin that you just injected (which happened to me
frequently).  Since 1 unit lowers my BG 45 mg/dL, having an inaccuracy of .5
units can mean the difference of having an 85 or a 65, etc.