Re: [IP] Medtronic alleges patent infringement

 Patents are completely pointless if companies are not allowed, even encouraged,
to enforce their patents.  Now, I can't speak to the specific details in this
case, but if MM is correct, they have a patent on something that another
company is now using.  MM filed a patent so that they have the rights to such

Having "similar" designs is not patent infringement.  Ford and Chevy can have
similar designs all they want...but Ford and Chevy would DEFINITELY sue one
another if one of the companies developed a patent for a new vehicle
technology, and then the other starting duplicating the use of that technology
without paying royalties.

The patent laws were put in place to PROTECT companies.  A company could spend
thousands or millions of dollars developing something that another company
could just, then, take and use for themselves without any of the development
costs.  That gives the other company an unfair advantage, and they are
profiting off of the work of another company without giving them what they are

If, in fact, MM had patented the combination meter/pump back in 1997 as they
 allege, than they should be praised for having enough forethought for patenting
the idea before anyone else.  This rewards innovation.  Deltec, should their
device truly be in "violation" of this patent, should have to pay MM royalties
for their device because they are profiting from an idea that MM first
developed and patented.  In fact, a few weeks back, MM was bashed for
announcing their 512 pump because it contained features that Deltec announced
several months earlier but won't release until next year. Just because Deltec
publically announced it first doesn't mean that they were even CLOSE to having
 come up with the idea first. Instead, it seems that Deltec was trying to steal
thunder away from MM by announcing their product BEFORE MM could release
theirs, knowing that they could not possibly get their device to market before