Re: [IP] Glycemic Index (was the joke of sugar-free food)

At 04:03 PM 8/8/03 +0000, you wrote:
 > Discussion of finding sugar-free licorice made me think about this, and get
 >about it all over again.
 >I think the greatest joke ever played on diabetics is the "lie" of
 >foods.  As has been known for quite some time now, all carbs are essentially
 >the same in terms of their affect on the BG, with a SLIGHT amount of
 >variability.  In fact, any variation (glycemic index) that food has is
 >virtually worthless to the Type 1 diabetic, though may be SLIGHTLY
 >to note for the Type 2.

I agree with you about many sugar-free foods being useless or harmful.  But
I have to disagree with your statement that the glycemic index of a food
does not affect a Type 1.  I have seen a great deal of variation in how my
blood sugar reacts to low- versus high-glycemic foods.  With some
low-glycemic foods--such as cooked dried beans or lentils, barley, sweet
potatoes or yams--I have to be very careful to bolus less than I would for
an equivalent carb serving of a high-glycemic food like white rice or baked

Also, the low glycemic index of cornstarch, combined with the usually large
amount of fat included in the meal, tends to promote the high that many
Type 1s experience several hours after eating American Chinese food.