[IP] The joke of sugar-free foods

 Discussion of finding sugar-free licorice made me think about this, and get mad
about it all over again.

I think the greatest joke ever played on diabetics is the "lie" of sugar-free
foods.  As has been known for quite some time now, all carbs are essentially
the same in terms of their affect on the BG, with a SLIGHT amount of
variability.  In fact, any variation (glycemic index) that food has is
virtually worthless to the Type 1 diabetic, though may be SLIGHTLY beneficial
to note for the Type 2.

I get frustrated with all of the marketing of sugar-free foods out there that
are still loaded with carbs.  Sure, they took out the sugar, but replaced it
with another carb that still affects the BGL.  Sure, the sugar alcohols may
affect the BGL a bit more slowly...but the end result is the same for the Type
1 at least.

I've had to repeatedly try to convince some of my loving family that buying
me "sugar-free" candy, etc., is completely worthless.  I show them that the
 carb content is the same...but they come back saying, "But, it says it is sugar

 The ONLY sugar-free foods that are "worthwhile" in this way are those made with
artificial sweetners such as saccharine, asparatame, acesulfame-K (Sunnette),
and sucralose (Splenda).  But, as we all know, these are limited in their
 usefulness. Even sucralose, which is a modified sugar molecule and tastes most
like sugar, lacks the crystalline structure of sugar due to the fact that it
has to be "watered down" using corn starch, etc.  This means that baking with
it, etc., isn't effective...it affects TEXTURE of the foods negatively.

I wish I could start a campaign to get the FDA to STOP allowing sugar-free
 foods to be labeled as they are. It is very misleading to a huge population of
diabetics who think they are getting to eat something they otherwise
couldn't...unknowingly actually eating something just as "bad" for them.

Sorry to rant...just had to get that off my mind!  :-)

If I'm going to eat "sweets", I'm going to eat the good stuff, made with
sugar!!!!!  ;-)