[IP] Diabetic Ironman

A guy from my NYC pump support group named David Weingard just finished the
IRONMAN TRIATHALON, wearing a pump...he has only been a diabetic Type 1) for a
couple of years, and already OBVIOUSLY has a handle - no, I would say a pretty
damn good GRIP - on it.....

here is his update, with photos... etc...THIS is the kind of role model we
need....GO DAVID!!!!!

SSPAZ (sara smarty pants Arizona)

On Sunday 27 July 2003, I successfully raced Ironman USA in Lake Placid, New
York.   I completed the 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike ride, and 26.2mile run in
16 hours, 14 minutes and 39 seconds and was one of the 1,672 finishers.

I am extremely proud of this accomplishment b since in addition to the
challenges of the race b it rained most of the day and the winds reached 30
mph on the mountainous bike course.    I reached down deeper into myself in
order to make each legbs time cutoff and finish the race within the 17 hour
overall race time limit.  It was a greater physical challenge than any other
that I
have ever undertaken.  I have now joined a very small group of Type 1
Diabetics in the world to ever complete an Ironman race.

 The complexities of racing Ironman as a Diabetic included balancing insulin
doses with food intake and the constant monitoring of blood glucose (BG)
levels.   The weather added other issues as my BG testing kit stopped working
the rain..  Fortunately, I had planned for these types of issues and had
plans (i.e.  spare testing kits).  I also had learned so much via my race
simulations during training that I tuned my food intake constantly within the
race.  I have attached my food and insulin plan & actual results in the file
IM2003 records.doc for those interested in looking at it.

I was very fortunate to receive outstanding family support at the race and
from all of you during the months leading up to it.   Including donations
coming in, your contributions helped raise $10,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes
Research Foundation (JDRF).  Please see <A
HREF="http://www.jdrf.org/nyc">www.jdrf.org/nyc</A>   (Press your Ctrl key
and then click on the link to go to the Juvenile Diabetes NYC site).  Then,
click on bDavid Weingardb on the lower right hand corner for additional
information or to make a contribution.  Additionally, the Janus Fund will be
donating $250 to JDRF as part of our effort.  I also want to thank Sidsb
Bike Shop
(34th and 2nd Ave) <A
m</A> and Zipcar <A HREF="http://www.zipcar.com/">www.zipcar.com</A>
for their sponsorship support.

The media exposure  in my employerbs (Microsoft) newsletter, a full page
article in Triathlete magazine and mention in numerous other local
and websites generated letters and phone calls from other Diabetics and their
families who shared their stories and amazing accomplishments.  The Ironman
gave me the opportunity to learn from and share inspiration with Diabetics
(and their families) nationwide who, like myself, who must deal with this
chronic condition 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.   May the momentum we created
continue on for years to come. .

(link below to see pictures)

Be well,

 David G. Weingard