Re: [IP] Insulin Carb Ratio

In a message dated 8/6/2003 6:13:06 AM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> I've been using the 1/15 ratio with great results

81 carbs at the 1:15 ratio would give you 5.4 for your dosage. A pump would
have helped here in the fact that maybe your digestion is a little slow, and
the insulin hit before the food did? The amount of fat and protein in you meal
can also slow asorbtion. So it could also be butter on the bread/gravy and how
the chicken was cooked that affected this.
I am sorry that you really had a rough time. With a pump, you can program it
to deliver the meal bolus slowly over an hour or more, which would have
greatly helped the situation.
Not a doctor here, but don't give up carb counting yet. Get the formulas for
figuring your insulin carb ratio (link can be found on IP home page) and
double check it.
Another suggestion, is to keep a small digital time near you, take 1/3 of
your bolus and set the timer for ....say....45 min....take the second 1/3 and
repeat for the last 1/3.
You will have to actually figure out the amount of time and divisions that
are best for you....1/2 and 1/2 or by 1/4's.

Good luck,
Tina Hudspeth
Dxd T2 94, insulin in 96
Pumping 4/03 and love it.