From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:42 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: Diabetic dog diet

 I'm afraid I don't eat enough high-protein meals to really answer this
with any accuracy.  I eat a diet high in carbs, with a moderate amount of
protein.  I just have found that those times that I HAVE eaten a high
meal that I'll see it affects my BGL, whereas a lower protein meal, but
exclusively protein, and I see virtually no affect.

I would imagine that you would need to mostly come up with a basal rate that
keeps his BG levels normal.  Since your dog will most likely eat a pretty
consistant diet, and since that diet has virtually no carbs, then you could
treat the protein as just basal insulin requirements.  Of course, you'll
to be careful if the dog is sick or something and not eating normally.

I assume that he can't tolerate the commercial dog foods because they tend
put rice in them, which adds carbs.

But, I'm just guessing.  :-)  I'm no vet nor medical professional.