Re: [IP] Re: humalog duration

I'm really surprised your endo didn't switch you to Humalog or Novolog before
going to the pump!  Well, you will likely see many changes once you switch to
the pump.

First, you are currently getting a very inconsistant basal rate with UL, which
 is likely why you have different carb ratios for each meal. Once you go on the
pump, the first goal will be to get a basal rate that keeps you in a normal
range without eating, etc.  Once this is done, you'll likely find that your
carb ratios start to equalize to a single rate (though, this isn't true for

 Also, your overall insulin requirements will likely decrease compared to R/UL.
Humalog is used more effectively.  In general, I think the way most endos
handle it is this:

1. Add up your total insulin requirements as it is TODAY (for you, on R/UL).
 2. Reduce this total by 25%. So, if you take 40 units total today, reduce this
to 30.
3. Take the reduced insulin, and apply HALF of it to your basal requirements.
So, in this example, 15 units would be spread throughout the day.
4. The remaining insulin will be calculated probably using the 500 rule, etc.

This basically gives the doctor a STARTING point...but you will have a lot of
tweaking to do initially.

>When I go from R to humalog, do you think it will
>be the same ratios as the r? I'm thinking probably not since I will be
>losing the tail effect of the R thank God! Just looking for any advice/ideas
>you or anyone else can offer me going from R insulin to humalog.
>Lastly, I use ultrelente (UL) for my basal right now but I know when I go on
>the pump this will change as well. Just giving some more info since am
>concerned of running lows on the transition from R to humalog.

Novolog and Humalog are both roughly the same "age".  (I think Novolog is
slightly newer.)  They are very similar to one another, and in many people
appear to behave identically.  But, there are pros/cons to each.

Some people find they have a sensivitity to one versus the other. So, if
Humalog causes problems, they may switch to Novolog of vice versa.

Also, as I mentioned, Novolog has a smoother curve compared to Humalog, which
is more "top-heavy", meaning that it peaks earlier and then quickly dies out.
 This is good for people who eat a lot of carbs. But, if you tend to eat a more
protein-rich diet with fewer carbs (relatively speaking), you might find
Humalog peaks TOO quickly.  Novolog, in this case, would do a better job of
matching your eating patterns.  That is because, while Novolog starts acting
about the same as Humalog, it peaks a bit later, and more of it lasts in your
bloodstream longer.  However, the TOTAL duration of Novolog and Humalog are
virtually identical.

For the general diabetic population, you can use Novolog and Humalog pretty
much interchangably...it's just some fine the action time of one works better
for them versus the other.