Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:17:02 -0500
From: "Gail Bell" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] BEWARE - Precision Xtra test strips fail prematurely

Below the *'s is a copy/paste of an e-mail from Medisense, the makers
of the Precision Xtra glucose monitor.  It appears that they have coded
the test strips to fail at (or as in the case of this past July - before)
the expiration date.   Test strips with an expiration date of 07/03  failed
on July 31, '03.   I don't remember ever hearing or seeing any warning
about this coding on any of the boxes of strips that I own.  The
company line from Medisense was that they are trying to protect diabetics
harm that might befall them using strips that have expired days or
(horrors) maybe even weeks before.These strips are individually sealed
in aluminum and are not subject to the environmental forces that might
alter them -light, heat and moisture - to name a few.  I am sure that the
strip opened on August 1 was just as good as the one opened on July 30.   I'd
like to hear some feedback on this.   As you can see below, Medisense
is offering some (not much) restitution for this serious error but, just
look at the hoops you have to go through for any reimbursement.   I am
just concerned that some D's could have faced more harm from not being
able to use out-dated strips, that they depended, on than by using them
a few days late. Gail Bell  P.S. Has anyone had any experience with
strips  that had deteriorated?
MediSense Support [mailto:email @ redacted]