Re: [IP] heat and humalog

You start with "I'm *sure* it was the insulin's fault, but end with "who knows
what caused the 275".  It sounds like you aren't sure.

Don't downplay the role of exercise in RAISING your blood sugar level.
Exercise can DEFINITELy cause such a rise.  Exercise triggers the release of
 adrenaline and/or endorphine's which can cause a release of glucagon/glycagen.
This ensures an adequate glucose supply is available for the exercise.  Some
people make a mistake of decreasing insulin during exercise, but before I when
on the pump, the nurse (who, unlike many, was HIGHLY educated in the area of
how the body works) warned about doing so.  It partly depends on the type of
exercise.  Anyhow, she said it is better to continue giving NORMAL basal
 insulin during insulin and eat a bit of carbs to keep the BGL elevated enough.
THe insulin is necessary to convert the carbs into energy.  If you decrease
your insulin or not have enough, your BG will rise in response because the
exercise will deplete resources equickly.

Anyhow, back to Humalog...I've found Humalog to be stable for quite some time
even in heat...well beyond a normal pump change rate.  I used to keep my
insulin unrefridgerated.  THe Humalog would last about 25 days before losing
potency.  (And, once it did, I could tell almost immediately..it is like one
day it works, the next day my BGLs are shooting way up.)  Now, I refridgerate
my insulin except for what is in the pump.

It is true, however, that Novolog is less susceptible to heat.  However, for
me, the curve for how it works in the body isn't ideal for me.  It takes too
 long to peak compared to Humalog. (Novolog has a smoother curve than Humalog.
Humalog peaks sooner, where MOST of the insulin is gone in 1.5 hours.  Novolog
is just peaking around that 1.5 hour mark, obviously give or take.) So, if you
 eat a LOT of carbs, then Humalog will likely work better for you. If you eat a
smaller amount of carbs at a sitting, then Novolog will likely work fine.