[IP] Re: Velosulin

> Your next question will be "what is
> Velosulin" :-)   --- It is a regular insulin that was developed with
> specific buffers for use in insulin pumps. In most other respects it
> behaves pretty much like regular insulin.
> Michael Robinton
> Executive Director

I sure hate to disagree with our Executive Director and multi-talented
Michael, but Velosulin started out as a pure pork insulin for those who were
allergic to beef in the beef/pork regular insulins and was manufactured by
Nordisk in Denmark. Novo later merged with Nordisk to become Novo-Nordisk.
When pumping started and some could not tolerate Regular insulin being
infused, Velosulin was *recommended.* I was one who got some site infections
with Regular. I used Velosulin  for a few years then it was Buffered
(Velosulin BR) for use in pumps so it would not occlude. I never had an
occlusion and the tubing at that time was a different material. Later
Velosulin became Velosulin Human BR. It kind of evolved into use for pumps,
but was not developed specifically for pump users. I used Velosulin from
'84-'98. PTL for Humalog because the fast-acting sure made a difference in
daily routine and FREEDOM! YMMV!

The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be. ~
Paul Valery