[IP] Re: Type 1 and Breastfeeding

> So, just out of curiosity, how many of the Type 1's on this list were
> breastfeed, for how long, and how many were not?   I was not, and was dx
> at age 4.

Zachary was totally breastfed until age 15 months (no formula
or food ---  siblings had food allergies, so we avoided food
until he insisted on it  :)       He was still breastfeeding at the
time of his diagnosis at 3yrs and 3wks.

AND the hospital was horrified when we wouldn't immediately
wean at admission or do scheduled breastfeedings at mealtimes
only so they could properly calculate insulin needs ..............though
they changed their attitude ENTIRELY when a severe flu epidemic
hit the ward and he went on a food strike for four days!     Another
DM child his age went on the same strike and needed IV fluids,
but we just breastfed through it without problems.

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (13 1/2,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
Paradigm  8/16/02,  and now ANIMAS IR1000  3/18/03 ) --------and MaMa to
Jennifer (turning 21 this summer), Allison (18), Rachel (7)
Fenton, MO