re: [IP] how often does your infusion set come out/fail?

I'm a Disetronic H-Tron+ user for about 6 years and have recently had dealings
with changing cannula types.  I originally started with the Disetronic Tenders
(which have longish cannulas, and go in at an angle.  When they came out with
the Ultras (they go straight in and have short (8 or 10 mm) cannulas) I
switched to them (I wasn't having problems with the Tenders but "newer is
better").  I found that the sites, rather than degrading gracefully, were
subject to very rapid falure (blood glucose 110 before breakfast, 300 before
lunch, 350 before dinner);  I tried both lengths.  Often when I pulled out a
failed site the cannula was visibly kinked.  I've recently switched back to the
 Tenders. (For the record I'm not fat but have fairly typical 63-year old flab.)

** Reply to message from email @ redacted (insulin-pumpers-digest) on
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:29:33 -0700

> Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:56:40 -0700
> From: "Matt Palmer" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] how often does your infusion set come out/fail?
> Hi All,
 > I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on the reliability of the
> types of infusion sets.  My pump trainer says that very thin people have a
> greater tendency to pop out their Soft sets, especially a 6mm cannula, but I
> hear a lot of people talking about bent cannulas with the Silhouettes.  Does
> anyone have any ideas on which sets seem to absorb better/come out less for
> thinner folks?
 > By the way, I appreciate all the replies I got a couple months ago when
> to decide on using the Sils and the Sil-serter.  Your help was greatly used.
> I use my Sil sets, but haven't used the serter yet (maybe I never will, it
> looks like a torture device).  I have no problem inserting my Sil sets, but
> some of my sites are more tender than others.  After all the talk in the pump
> literature I wonder is there really a way to have an infusion set that is
> totally unnoticeable?
> Thanks for the help!  Yessi Palmer

Richard G. Larson, Professor                   (312)996-8616
                   Director Undergrad. Studies (312)413-2171
Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.,  U. of Ill. at Chicago
851 S. Morgan Street,    M/C 249,      Chicago IL 60607-7045