RE: [IP] Disetronic/FDA matter

On 3 Aug 2003 at 14:29, jhughey <email @ redacted> wrote:

> At 6:24 PM -0400 8/2/03, Elizabeth Ramsey wrote:
> >We AREN T the rest of the world. We have standards they
> >don t and yes, they may seem stupid but they have saved people s
> >lives
>
> George's reply:
> sale of saccharin is banned, but the use of cyclamates is allowed.
> Seems to me that the FDA is really backwards on that situation as
> studies have proven that saccharin can be carcinogenic, but cyclamates
> require massively large doses to match the effect of smaller amounts
> saccharin.>>>
>
> 2000/05/16)
> WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than two decades after a study in rats
> prompted scientists to link saccharin to human cancer, the federal
> government is dropping the artificial sweetener from its list of
> cancer-causing chemicals.
> 2000/06/14)
> Last month, the federal government's National Toxicology Program took
> saccharin off the Report of Carcinogens that it publishes every two
> years. The artificial sweetener had been categorized as a
> cancer-causing agent since 1981 and was nominated for "delisting" by
> the Calorie Control Council, which describes itself as "an
> international, nonprofit association of manufacturers of low-calorie,
> reduced-fat and light food and beverages."

According to www.saccharin.org:

 <<<"In 1977, Congress passed a moratorium preventing an FDA-proposed saccharin
ban.
 The moratorium has been extended seven times based on the scientific evidence,
the
 counsel of qualified professionals, and the support of consumers. At a 1985
Senate
 hearing, then-FDA Commissioner Frank Young supported an extension of the
moratorium,
 noting that FDA has less concern about saccharin than in 1977. The Commissioner
added
 that "the actual risk, if any, of saccharin to humans still appears to be
slight."
 In 1991, the FDA formally withdrew its 1977 proposal to ban the use of
saccharin. And, on
 December 21, 2000, President Clinton signed a bill that will remove the warning
label that
 had been required on saccharin-sweetened products since 1977. Government,
scientists
and industry are now all in agreement on saccharin's safety. ">>>

 And to think, no one did that for Cyclamates, which's one of the better
artificial sweeteners.
 Instead the FDA, in effect, decided that we have to have our "bitter" sweets!
Thanks FDA
 for taking the sweetness of life from me and preventing me from getting cancer
by drinking
686 12 oz. diet Pepsi's with cyclamates daily.

George     ;>P