RE: [IP] Disetronic/FDA matter

At 6:24 PM -0400 8/2/03, Elizabeth Ramsey wrote:
>We ARENT the rest of the world. We have standards they
>dont and yes, they may seem stupid but they have saved peoples lives

George's reply:
>>>And THEY have standards that WE DON'T.   For instance, in Canada the
sale of saccharin is banned, but the use of cyclamates is allowed.
Seems to me that the FDA is really backwards on that situation as
studies have proven that saccharin can be carcinogenic, but
cyclamates require massively large doses to match the effect of
smaller amounts saccharin.>>>

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than two decades after a study in rats prompted
scientists to link saccharin to human cancer, the federal government is
dropping the artificial sweetener from its list of cancer-causing chemicals.

Last month, the federal government's National Toxicology Program took
saccharin off the Report of Carcinogens that it publishes every two years.
The artificial sweetener had been categorized as a cancer-causing agent
since 1981 and was nominated for "delisting" by the Calorie Control Council,
which describes itself as "an international, nonprofit association of
manufacturers of low-calorie, reduced-fat and light food and beverages."

The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their