[IP] Re: following FDA regs

> So without its normal careful paperwork and phase studies,
> the USA along with England and Canada approved the use of the drug. It
> started being used in Europe in 1956 but by 1961 when it was being sold
under 51
> brand names, they found that it was causing malformations in at least
10,000
> infants worldwide. In 7 out of 17 cases of infant deformation in the US,
the
> drug was purchased in another country. The drug? Thalidomide.

Caution: Another *personal* story - (delete now if you don't want to read):
When I got pg in 1960 I had a.m. sickness every day even until the time I
entered the hospital to have induced labor. I was there 5 days before they
determined the event. I had my a.m. sickness pills with me there. PRAISE THE
LORD they were NOT Thalidomide!!! It could soooo easily have been. My dtr.
had a lovely little classmate who, sadly, had little knobs for fingers on
the ends of her short arms. What a reminder!! Those were sad days and I
remember them well. I'm so thankful I wasn't one of the ones who took it.

They are using it today for something else and it's quite successful. I
can't recall (Hillary Syndrome) what it's new use is.

Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

=