Re: [IP] Friend in diabetic coma

I will interject here to say that it would take a
great deal to put me in DKA,I have often had sites
gone bad during the night(and occasionally,prebed)+
I'd bolus,it wouldn't do any good of course.8 hours
later,I'd wake up feeling like death + large  ketones
but it was not DKA + within 5 hours always
cleared(with injections)My bgs do not go up much when
this happens(usually around 300) which proves it
doesn't take a high bg to start trouble!I'm sure that
by 13 hours(if I hadn't taken injections)I would be at
the start of DKA but the time period for trouble
fortuanetly tends to be on the high side for
me.Excepting dx,haven't ever been in DKA.
--- jhughey <email @ redacted> wrote:
> decent bs, what
> PERCENT of us, would be in coma, 8 hours later
> ???>>>
> I'd say pretty much all the Type 1's would be. There
> MUST be insulin in the
> system and Humalog/Novolog (pump insulins) are very
> short acting and would
> be out of the system by about 5 hours. Give another
> three hours and WHAMMO!!
> I doubt YMMV. I can have a bad site and go over 600
> in a matter of a few
> hours. Add 4-5 more to that and I have no doubt.
> Jan (64 y/o, dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda
> Sue (MM507C 3/99)
> Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue
> http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and
> INSULIN PUMPS with World's Youngest Pumper)
> Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you
> realize you haven't fallen
> asleep yet
> =
> HELP@insulin-pumpers.org