[IP] pedicures

hi all,

first let me thank those of you that responded to my nervous questions
about insertion. i kept your information and encouragements in mind as i
tried the 6 mm quickset-- it was so easy! next time, im going to try the
silhouette, and im sure ill have more questions!

on the very different question of pedicures:

i consider getting pedicures something i just "have" to do as a diabetic.
(wink, wink)
once a month, i go to someone i trust, and she spends an hour massaging,
inspecting and generally softening my feet-- with the correct aeshetician,
the benefits to diabetic foothealth are pretty obvious.
a few tips-- no not on polish colors!

1. Go to a  really nice place, not a corner nail shop (unless you trust
it!) . We diabetics need a  very very clean environment. I go to a salon;
it is better to skip months when you can't afford it than go to a place
whose cleanliness is in doubt. Ask:  do you sterilize your instruments? How
do you clean out your tubs? Also: if you have neuropathy, test the water
with your hands first, to make sure it is not too hot.

2. I don't inform my pedicurist that I have diabetes, but I do tell her not
to cut the sides of my nails to short, because I don't want ingrowns.

3. Ask around-- find a person/ salon who views pedicures an a health and
relaxation treatment, not just a quick polish change. Personally, I get so
relaxed during a pedicure, I often have to suck on a little mint avoid
sugar drops. Don't be shy about interrogating the salon.

4. Finally, go without polish every once in a while, to give your nails a
chance to breathe, and to make sure that you aren't developing any kind of
fungus.

So, I don't have that much expertise yet as a pumper, but I can drop
science about pedicures.

(If you live in the SF area, check splendora.com for pedicurists who are
perhaps pricey, but really safe and therapeutic.)

Ruth

-----
Ruth Jennison
English Dept.