[IP] pedicures

hi all,

first let me thank those of you that responded to my nervous questions
about insertion. i kept your information and encouragements in mind as i
tried the 6 mm quickset-- it was so easy! next time, im going to try the
silhouette, and im sure ill have more questions!

on the very different question of pedicures:

i consider getting pedicures something i just "have" to do as a diabetic.
(wink, wink)
once a month, i go to someone i trust, and she spends an hour massaging,
inspecting and generally softening my feet-- with the correct aeshetician,
the benefits to diabetic foothealth are pretty obvious.
a few tips-- no not on polish colors!

1. Go to a  really nice place, not a corner nail shop (unless you trust
it!) . We diabetics need a  very very clean environment. I go to a salon;
it is better to skip months when you can't afford it than go to a place
whose cleanliness is in doubt. Ask:  do you sterilize your instruments? How
do you clean out your tubs? Also: if you have neuropathy, test the water
with your hands first, to make sure it is not too hot.

2. I don't inform my pedicurist that I have diabetes, but I do tell her not
to cut the sides of my nails to short, because I don't want ingrowns.

3. Ask around-- find a person/ salon who views pedicures an a health and
relaxation treatment, not just a quick polish change. Personally, I get so
relaxed during a pedicure, I often have to suck on a little mint avoid
sugar drops. Don't be shy about interrogating the salon.

4. Finally, go without polish every once in a while, to give your nails a
chance to breathe, and to make sure that you aren't developing any kind of

So, I don't have that much expertise yet as a pumper, but I can drop
science about pedicures.

(If you live in the SF area, check splendora.com for pedicurists who are
perhaps pricey, but really safe and therapeutic.)

Ruth Jennison
English Dept.
University of California, Berkeley
320 Wheeler Hall