Re: [IP] Friend in diabetic coma

On 8/1/03 4:58 PM, "R. Kersting" <email @ redacted> wrote:

 > Guess last wed, while sleeping his pump failed. His mother
 > couldn't reach him by phone so she called the parametics,
 > they arrived took him to the hospital where he's been in a
 > coma since then.
 > No word on what his bg was.
 > going to phone another friend to find out more details. I find
 > it hard to understand, he was using a MM508. I've never had
 > a failure yet, but don't they beep or vibrate when there's no
 > delivery?

Maybe the pump actually didn't fail, but the infusion set got pulled
out or disconnected at the QR. To those who are not as familiar with
pumps as nearly all of us are, they might tend to call it a pump
failure although the pump itself did not fail. And under the
circumstances that I suggest, I'm not aware of any pump that detects
these conditions. "No delivery" would not be an issue in this case
because the pump would be delivering insulin (into the air) with no

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000