RE: [IP] Informal pump-mom query/survey

>a) do you find that your rebounds vary, depending upon where you catch the
> low???..i.e. almost without fail, if Melissa awakens from a low in the 40s,
>she rebounds into the 300s/  if she "catches" it in the 60s, her rebounds are
>in the low 200s.......

Yes.  There are a few reasons for this (probably more than a few actually).

First, once your BGL drops so low and the insulin in your system is finally
exausted enough, your body will respond with glucagon to stimulate the release
 of glycagen. This will raise BGLs. If, however, you catch the BGL BEFORE that
point (such as in the 60s, which may not be low enough to really trigger the
glucagon release), then you have avoided the glucagon release that shoots up
the BGLs.

 Second, I know from experience that the lower the BGL goes, the more "famished"
 you feel. Your body is literally starving for carbs, and so triggers your body
 to eat. So, if my BGL drops to low, my response is typically to OVERTREAT it.
 I'll eat everything in sight until the sugar starts to get into the bloodstream
 (about 10 minutes). You can eat a LOT of food in 10 minutes. :-) You'll tend
to eat much more for an extreme low versus a moderate low.

 The solution to BOTH of these scenarios is actually to give yourself insulin as
you are treating the low.  This done two things.  First, it raised blood
 insulin levels to trigger the body to STOP producing glucagon. Second, it will
help PREVENT the food and/or glycagen from raising your BGL too much in

 This solution, however, takes a little practice, because you have to be careful
about triggering another low.  :-)  Typically, what I'll do is figure out how
many carbs are needed to bring me back to a normal range, and then bolus for
every ADDITIONAL carb that I eat while treating.  So, if my BGL is 50, and I
need to eat 20 carbs to bring it up to 100 mg/dL, then if I actually eat 50
carbs, I'll bolus for 30 carbs.

>b)  do you notice any difference in how "groggy" you are in the morning,
> depending upon whether you awaken with an in-range blood sugar versus a
>rebound high???.....just wondering if there's a physiological explanation for
>sleep problems....

For me, I feel groggy in the morning after a low mostly because I lost sleep.
 If your BGL drops too low that it has to produce glucagon, there is typically a
 release of adrenaline or something to trigger this which makes you restless and
actually takes energy up.  PLUS, you end up being up and awake for 30+ minutes
 from the time you wake up to treat to when you finally can go back to bed after
starting to feel better.  Being awake in this way during the middle of the
night is during your prime sleep cycles, and will cause me to be much more
groggy in the morning.

>c) none of this REALLY matters, but then again, I've found that simply having
>one's experiences validated by others goes a long way in "understanding" & in
>"accepting".....I recall doctors scoffing at my daughter's comment years ago
>that she could predict her bgs by the color of the blood (pale pink = low/
> dark dark red= high), but when she mentioned it at a JDRF function & had
>numerous others concur, she felt vindicated!!

The "color of blood" prediction I've not noticed as much as the "thickness" of
blood (which is probably what affects the color).  Very high BGLs cause your
blood to be more "sticky" and therefore thicker.  But, if my BGLs are varying
enough that I can see the thickness of the blood, then I'm REALLY out of
control.  Within a reasonable range, I can't tell a difference.

I used to be able to predict my BGLs to with 50 mg/dL just based on how I felt
when I was younger.  THe bad thing was that I started using that as an excuse
NOT to test as frequently as I should have.  Eventually, this made me become
LESS aware of my BGLs based on feeling because I wasn't
continually "calibrating" my feelings to actual numbers.  Today, I can still
usually tell my BGLs just based on how I feel (both high and low), but I still
test 7+ times a day.  :-)