[IP] Type 2 basals

After my brother saw how well I was doing on the pump last year he decided to
get one. Figured he'd let me be the guinea pig first. Any way, I was diagnosed
as Type 1 twenty one years ago. He was diagnosed Type 2 about 7 years ago. The
pills weren't helping as much as they used to, so his endo put him on insulin.
And like I said, earlier this year, he started pumping. He's been having a lot
of lows, with no pattern to them. So he asked me this:
Being that a type 2 produces some insulin, do they produce the same amount of
insulin all the time, or do they sometimes produce more or less insulin at
other times. He feels that it's possible that sometimes his pancreas may
produce more insulin than at other times, and this, along with his basal
rates, may be causing the highs. I told him that I had no idea, I never
learned alot about type 2, being that I am type 1.
So if anyone out there can help us out trying to figure this out, he would
really appreciate it.
I hope I explained this right, if not, just let me know and I will try to
explain his question better.