Re: [IP] Stupid (?) pump questions

> I have just bought "Pumping Insulin" as has been suggested by the
> members here.  I am hoping for a convincing argument for my GP who
> is not all that enthralled with the idea of a pump.
>
> Two questions come to mind  though.
>
> I have been doing water walking (in and not on) a swimming pool at
> the Y.  I do an hour a day.  Normally the water gradually goes from
> waist deep to neck deep.  Would I lose benefits by unhooking for one
> hour every day?

Most likely any insulin missed while disconnected would be more than
offset by the energy loss (heat loss) due to skin conduction in the
water. Swimmers usually need extra carbs on top of the missed insulin
to keep bg's from dropping after during and after a long workout.

> Or should I be looking at a pump that  can take
> water walking for 60 minute, if there is such a thing?
>
> Second, (I'll phrase this delicately since there are all kinds and
> ages of people)  What does one do about pumping during "romantic
> interludes"?

heh... heh... depends if you are in a hurry or not :-)
Think of it as a pair of glasses. The could be neatly put away on the
bed stand or askew in your hair :-)  ... wonder which would be more
fun?

> In all honesty, I haven't dated in six months, I also
> have heart disease and renal failure.  So, perhaps "romantic
> interludes" may be a form of wishful thinking.  When I talked to my
> GP about "romantic interludes" lack of opportunity and lack of
> capacity, I was told that I'd need a referral to a urologist.  Not
> that any referal ever happened.
>
> I'll continue reading so that I can make my points.  Just in  the
> first chapter I can see advantages to the pump, even if I have to
> give up being in a swimming pool or having "romantic interludes".

Well... seeing as you will probably feel better in general when you
no longer have NPH or equiv in your system and are not riding the
roller coaster .... I'd say the likelihood will increase that your
activities will be ....err... more robust???

<smiles>
Michael