Re: [IP] Paradigm - waterproof

At 08:28 PM 8/28/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/28/02 2:21:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
> > There is no pump that is waterproof only water-resistant because there
> > are two chambers that open, Battery
>Animas is waterproof and so states that in their literature...they stand
>behind it.....I still want to know how they can change from 30 min to 24
>hours after FDA approval without revealing the testing done and still be only
>willing to call it water resistant.....I have one of those *inquiring

I, too, have one of those minds. Finding a definitive definition of
waterproof seems impossible. I could find Jimmy Hoffa first.

The FTC frowns upon the use of the word waterproof. Apparently, it's just
too absolute. Even watches designed for 2000M are called water-resistant.

Apparently, for the watch industry, in the 1960s, the FTC made them stop
saying that products were water-"proof". They also disallow the use of
other "proof" words, and the like, in advertising - "shockproof",
"allproof", and "non-magnetic" are verboten. To say that something is
waterproof implies that, under no circumstances, will this product ever let
water in. Since this is by industry, I'm certain that it's only a matter of
time before they crack down on pump manufacturers.

As far as FDA approval, the FDA is likely more concerned with typical
operation of the pump. As to water-resistance, companies probably have a
little latitude in when they test. The FDA process is so long, they
probably didn't want to use precious resources testing water-resistance for
extended periods before they were FDA approved.

If you do a search for "waterproof" and "water-resistant" on the web, you
find a lot of useless info. Many of the explanations of the difference
remind me of a kid once explaining his use of two otherwise dialectic
pronunciations of the word "wash" - 'wash' and 'warsh' - one was for
bathing, the other for the car, etc. Or, my friend that had an "aunt"
(pronounced like 'ant'), and an "aunt" (pronounced like 'ont'). Their
demeanors demanded different pronunciations according to my friend, but
this is entirely idiosyncratic, not a good definition for all mankind's use
of the pronunciation.

Irish Music
    Live Shows