[IP] Back up Plans & Mini Med 508 problems

I have not had the same exact problem but just got a loaner 508 yesterday
because mine was having constant "power outages" and E01 alarms.  I would use
SEL to get to the bolus screen, press ACT twice to choose to do a normal
bolus and then when I would push the arrow key the screen would go blank,
then I would get a "full screen display" (like when you do a pump self test)
and would have to start again.  I left it on for my basals and started taking
injections for my boluses (as suggested by the Minimed rep.) until the new
one could arrive, but a few hours later I was getting constant EO1 alarms and
had to disconnect entirely.

What was most disconcerting was the response of the two Minimed
representatives I spoke to that day.  (Please note, I've found Minimed to be
incredibly helpful in the past.) Neither was sympathetic to my situation at
all and since this happened on a Sunday said that Minimed could not send out
a new pump until Monday (as they have no carrier on Sundays!) which would
arrive two days later.   I even offered to drive (frankly anywhere) to pick
up a new pump but was told that it wouldn't help since I live in NYC and they
only distribute pumps from California.  I can't believe that a company which
makes their profit from providing essential medical supplies wouldn't have a
back up plan for Sundays nor a distribution point from the East Coast.  It
was very disappointing and I must admit that for the first time I am
considering switching to a Disetronic.  I recall that they sell their pumps
in pairs for just this situation and frankly I now know how important that
can be.

In light of all this I had to, of course, put my back-up plan into action.
It has made me curious about what back-up plans others have created and how
effective they are.  I know that I was able to keep my blood sugars within a
reasonable range but I didn't feel nearly as healthy as when using the pump.
I would certainly appreciate hearing about others experiences.

Best, Melysa