Re: [IP] diabetes, pumping and pregnancy

Hi Betsy,

I'm the one who posted the original question about starting a new IP list
on pumping and pregnancy. And you are right, Michael did say that he didn't
think there was enough interest. [I am wondering if there is any EASY way
to gauge just how much interest there might be--like some kind of place on
the IP site where new and old IP members could register if they are
interested in such a list? Then we could have an idea how many people
really would want such a list? But like you I don't want to push it if it
isn't feasible. I did look into some of the other sites where there are
chat groups on the topic suggested by some others on this list, but for my
personal taste, those groups seemed way too "loose"--they didn't seem to
really be "strict" discussions about pumping and diabetes, but more like
general emailing between women who happened to be diabetic and pregnant or
trying to conceive. YMMV, of course.]

ANYWAY...I am in the exact same situation you are--getting ready to start
trying to conceive--and have had diabetes for nine years too. I get my care
at the Joslin Clinic in Boston, and they have a complex and thorough
program for everything, including diabetes and pregnancy. So my husband and
I first met in May with a preg-endo and a high-risk ob who work together as
part of the Joslin Pregnancy Clinic team--the other members of the team are
a CDE, a nutritionist, and an exercise physiologist, but I haven't met with
those yet. So the first things they made me do were get an eye exam and do
all those labs to rule out kidney trouble, then get on the pump. They also
want me to have 2 or 3 good A1Cs in a row (my last one was a 5.8) and have
my blood sugars under really good control. Now I am just waiting for my
pump--should be here next week!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

It is really frustrating how long it takes, but I know it's for my own good
and for my baby's good. But it still can be a downer knowing that my
friends can start trying anytime they want, and we've been in the "trying
to be allowed to try" stage since May! But I feel like I'm in really good
hands at Joslin, and it has helped my husband feel better about the whole
prospect. He is very nervous about the risks involved with a diabetic
pregnancy, but really wants us to try anyway--we just have to do our best
to be in great control.

Sorry this is so long! It would be great to talk to other diabetic/pumping
women who have been through/are going through this same process.

age 28
dx 6/93
waiting for her Animas!