: [IP] Re: diabetic education class

I, too, had to sit through 3 general diabetes classes, and 3 pump training
classes.  Although I already more than knew about 95% of all of that info, I
found that extra 5% of "new" or forgotten info that was taught to be very
useful.  Different health care professionals have different info.  You may
be perfectly surprised at what you may learn.  If you don't learn something
new, maybe you should try to find another health care team that is more up
to date in your area (insurance and geography permitted of course).  Feel
proud that you already know so much and be happy you are not in the shoes of
those 'new diabetics" in the class that are desperately trying to learn all
of the info that's out there.
To me, it seems odd that someone would choose to remain on R and NPH when
there are extreme benefits to being on Humalog or Novolog and Lantus!!???
Why do you stay on those insulins?
Not trying to be pushy, just trying to help you look on the "bright" side of

<<<Anyway, he referred me back to our local CDE. I had to sit through
another nutrition class. The others in the class were new to diabetes so
everytime the instructor questioned the class I had the answer. I was bored
to death. They still had the same rubber looking food samples to show
portion sizes that I handled in the same class back in 1996. Then I had an
assessment by the CDE a few days later and I asked her about getting me a
pump. She said due to my daily life, my uncontrolled blood sugars, being in
the ER twice in one year for hypoglycemia, gastroperesis, and neuropathy.
that I was a candidate for the pump. However, she told me that I need to go
on Lantus and Novolog so I can learn carb counting, insulin to carb ratios,
bolusing, and ad nauseum before I could get the pump. I'm getting fed up
with the system. I read everything I could get my hands on about the pump a
few years ago and updated my knowledge recently. If I had a pump in my hands
right now I believe I could safely set my basals and bolus for correction
and meals without any healthcare professional assistance. I don't say that
to sound arrogant, I just can't understand the need to repeat a class I
already took, and to go on an insulin regimen I do not want. It is like
asking me to go back and take Kindergarten over, and to use a baby bottle
for a few months again before I eat regular food. So, with a doctor who is
ignorant about pumps, a CDE who apparently wants to get as much insurance
money that she can before setting me loose, and an insurance company that
has a 30 day rule before changing PCP's, what would be the best thing to do
next to get results?

Tavia Rodriguez
Administrative Assistant
Xerox Services of Mountain West