RE: [IP] Type 2's morphing into Type 1's

I find your question very interesting as I am a 60 year old female who
was diagnosed with diabetes six months ago.  I did not have gestational
diabetes or type 2.  I am five feet seven inches tall and have never
weighed more than 127 pounds.  I have been a vegetarian most of my life
and have always eaten a high fiber low fat diet with more than the
recommended amounts of fruits and vegetable daily along with lots of
natural grains.  I also have always exercised for a minimum of 30
minutes each day.

In December my blood glucose was tested with a finger prick and my
reading one hour after eating was 114.  On February 18th I began to feel
bad and when I was tested on February 28 my blood glucose count was 576
with ketones in my urine.  I was hospitalized when my count went over
600. After a C-Peptide test it was determined that I met the criteria
for type 1 diabetes and was put on injections of Humalog and Lantus. I
was told I must have a gene for it since I had not had a virus that
could account for my diabetes.  Believe me I am not happy about it.

I do have a number of advantages over most diabetics in that I am
retired.  Another is my volunteering at the local hospital.  I have
volunteered for a number of years in the education department which
includes the diabetes educators.  I feel I have been paid back many
times over for all the free hours I have given.

Mary