[IP] Type 2's morphing into Type 1's

Have seen several postings of people in their 50's and 60's being
diagnosed as Type I.  How does this relate to "gestational" and/or
"juvenile" diabetes? Were these people previously diagnosed and treated
as Type 2's?  Do these people have the Type I gene but do not have
symptoms until later in life, OR WHAT?  Is there a test for whether a
person is Type 1 or Type 2?  Do Type 1's produce any insulin at all?

I realize this is a complex question. Can anyone suggest any printed
material, studies, etc. about this topic?  I would appreciate it if I
had some references to read.  Thank you.  Linda