Re: [IP] Re: dr bernsteins diet

Jayne Drowns <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Once again, I ask, are there any known cases of people who have lost
> function due to high protein consumption?  Or does anyone know a diabetic
> who had normal kidney function, went on a low carb diet, and then
> kidney disease?  If there are no such cases, I'd rather put my anxiety
> avoiding the KNOWN danger of high blood sugars.

I think you're trying to over simplify body function.  In any one patient,
it's impossible (usually) to attribute a condition to any one factor.  It is
known that high protein diets force the kidneys to work harder.  Does that
equate to kidney failure?  I'm not sure anyone knows.  But for someone with
failing kidneys, a high protein diet can be fatal.

Given the overall YMMV, I'm quite certain that there are patients who
developed signs of kidney failure after going on a low carb diet.  There are
also those who developed such symptoms after going on a low fat diet.  Can
those be directly attributable to either option?  Probably not.  All we can
deal with is the relative risk (note: that's a statistical term).  IOW, we
look at the likelihoods and take our choices.

As far as known danger of high blood glucose (aside from DKA), there are
those whose HbA1c stays at 10% or higher and never develop complication
(rare, but it happens).  Others will maintain HbA1c a 5.5% and still develop
complications.  When we talk about what is "known", we always have to be
cautious about how that knowledge is applied.

> And the ONLY way that I
> have ever been able to maintain any kind of control is by low carbing.
> believe me, I banged my head against the low fat diet for a good 7 1/2
> before I discovered low carbing.)

Well, you have to do what works for you.  All I suggest is that we each be
well informed to make the choices intelligently, and not by knee jerk.  As I
said in another post, we will never know what would have been had we made a
different choice.

Jim Handsfield