Re: [IP] Re: dr bernsteins diet

Insulin Pumpers is supported entirely through donations. Your contribution
of $1 or $2 per month is needed. Please make your pledge of $10 or more per
year so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve YOU and the diabetes
community.     Visit: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

Laura F. <email @ redacted> wrote:

> My question is:  supposing Atkins' studies show that his diet is a
> success.  How much credibility would they have?  His critics would just
> roll their eyes and say, "Well, of COURSE a study funded by Atkins would
> come out in favor of his diet!  He has books to sell!"  IMO, studies
> should ideally be conducted and paid for by people with no vested
> interest in the outcome.

You raise a good point.  Most private funders (the Robert Wood Johnson
Foundation, for example) have mechanisms in which they guarantee not to
influence the results of the research.  I don't know if Atkins has done

> As for low-carb/Bernstein -- one thing to consider is that there ARE
> studies that conclusively link better bg control with avoidance of
> complications.  So a very important question is whether low-carb diets
> do in fact improve bg control.

It's more than that.  If good nutrition were nothing more than controlling
blood glucose, our lives would be a lot easier.  But diabetics (whether type
1 or 2) are also heart patients in that an otherwise health diabetic is as
likely to suffer a heart attack as someone who has already had a heart
attack.  Our diets need to be heart healthy as well as diabetes healthy.
It's also known that a high protein diet is hard on kidneys, and since
diabetes is also hard on kidneys, it's another consideration.

> Here, although studies can serve as a
> guide, ultimately the only way you'll know for sure if it works for YOU
> is to try it and see.

Well, yes and no.  The problem is that no one can tell from a sample of one.
You might have better blood glucose, but at what expense to some other
system in your body?  And having excellent control is no guarantee that we
won't have complications.  And having poor control is no guarantee that we
will.  Biological systems are incredibly complex, and when we choose one
particular path, we will never know what would have been had we chosen

Jim Handsfield