Re: [IP] Non-diabetic blood sugars

On 8/23/02 9:12 PM, "liz loree" <email @ redacted> wrote:

>>> except for those of us who understand the 4-7 range normal thing instead
> of
>>> these strange 3 digit numbers that we have to dig out calculators to
>>> understand. ;)
>>> oh, us silly canucks.
>> Silly Canucks????    I thought the rest of the World was measuring by
> mmol/L
>> and it is just the Silly Americans that insist on those strange 3 digit
>> numbers  (except when we are in hypo)        ;>)
> well then, i take it back.  we canucks aren't silly.  :)

Well, I'm really not saying that Canucks aren't silly!!    :>)

If our members would check out ALL of the website they would find this:

" What are mmol/L? How do I convert between mmol/L and mg/dl?

mmol/L is millimoles/liter, and is the world standard unit for measuring
glucose in blood. It is the designated SI (Systeme International) unit.
"World standard", of course, means that mmol/L is used everywhere in the
world except in the US.

mg/dl (milligrams/deciliter) is the traditional unit for measuring bG (blood
glucose). All scientific journals are moving quickly toward using mmol/L
exclusively. mg/dl won't disappear soon, and some journals now use mmol/L as
the primary unit but quote mg/dl in parentheses, reflecting the large base
of health care providers and researchers (not to mention patients) who are
already familiar with mg/dl.

Since <IP> is an international newsgroup, it's polite to quote both figures
when you can.  However, if you don't quote both units, it's inevitable that
many readers will have to pull out their calculators to read it.

To convert mmol/L to mg/dl (of glucose), multiply by 18.

To convert mg/dl to mmol/L (of glucose), divide by 18 or multiply by 0.055."

Now there.  Time for all us Silly Yanks to pull out our calculators.     ;>)

George    :>)