RE: [IP] Re: dr bernsteins diet

Marion [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> He is indeed impressive in what he has done to
> reverse his own diabetic complications and the help he has given hundreds
> of
> patients.

I don't want to start or participate in a diet war, but I have to respond
here as it is typical of Bernstein's book, and just about every other diet

This falls into the category of testimonial, not research.  One of the red
flags everyone should look for when evaluating diet programs, and every
other bit of popular scientific writing is how much do the conclusions being
promoted rely on testimonials.  Good research is carefully conducted so that
the participant, and often the researcher, does not know which program is
being used (blind or double blind).  Further, a great deal of effort is put
into controlling for everything that could cloud the outcome - known as
confounders.  Bernstein does *NONE* of this, but relies wholly on
testimonial and his own personal experience.

One of the oddities of his book is that he makes very few citations.  The
one he most strongly presents, Garg, et al., as supporting his very low carb
diet *DOESN'T SUPPORT VERY LOW CARB DIETS*.  That work is about slightly
higher FAT in the diet, and kept calories and proteins constant.  So, the
only other thing that could change was the carbohydrates, and those were
lowered about 10% from 55% of diet to about 45% of diet.

Bernstein's world view is that of an engineer (which he was before he became
a physician), and his view is very deterministic: a given stimulus will
produce the same outcome.  There is little room in Bernstein's book and his
theory for YMMV.  Biomedical research, however, is very cognizant that
biological processes are stochastic, not deterministic, meaning that a given
stimulus will produce a *range* of outcomes in a discernable pattern, which
we refer to on this list as YMMV.

So use what particular diet works for you (or your kids, etc.), but be
skeptical of any popular work that is not research based.  You can tell by
looking for specific citations of others' works, and for a research protocol
that does not depend on the personal observations of the participants for
support of the outcome.

Jim Handsfield