[IP] sensitivity training

Oh, I think so many of the doctors still need sensitivity training and lots
of diabetes education.  I went to the dermatologist yesterday.  Since she is
in a practice at a big teaching hospital in Boston, a resident came in to
examine me first.  When she  (the resident) found out that I had Type 1 for
20 years, she went on to congratulate me because I was still alive.  She then
went on to say at the very least I should have severe complications by now.
Imagine her shock to find out that I have no complications. (I know there is
a bit of luck there.)   She then became "floored" that I had two healthy
children.  She said "that's basically unheard of.  I mean twenty years ago
when you were diagnosed, most people just died."  I think she had good
intentions, but boy did she sound ignorant.  Lucky for me, I am pretty thick
skinned when it comes to insensitive, ignorant diabetes comments.  As has
been my practice lately, I gave a quick 60 second education course about
diabetes.  I'm thinking I have to cut it to 30 seconds because as usual, I
was tuned out at about 15 seconds.  Just what are they teaching in med school
these days?