[IP] Re: dr bernsteins diet

> I just read this article on medscape about this kind of diet. I am
>wondering if extra demands on the kidney is wise for people wth diabetes.

I would say that depends on the person.  If a low-carb diet helps
someone substantially lower their bg's, I would say that whatever
possible kidney problems the diet *might* cause would probably be MORE
than offset by the benefits of lower bg's!

I have followed a low-carb diet for more than 2 years (not Dr.
Bernstein's diet exactly, but my daily carb intake isn't too far off
from what he recommends). I'm completely happy with it!  My sugars are
MUCH more stable now than they ever were on a high-carb diet.  I can't
imagine going back to my old way of eating!  I've never had any problem
with kidney stones (either before or since going on the diet), and so
far my urine protein tests have always been negative.

One thing to keep in mind is that most low-carb diet programs recommend
drinking a lot of water.  I'd think that would help prevent kidney
stones in people who might have a tendency to get them (and plus getting
enough water is just a healthy thing overall!)

BTW, in the intro to Dr. Bernstein's book, he states that he had
substantial kidney disease that was reversed when he started tightly
controlling his blood sugars with a low-carbohydrate diet.  I realize
he's just one case, but for him anyway the results of his diet appear to
have been pretty impressive!