Re: [IP] RE: Different correction rates

 Jenny is 1:50 all day long, 1:70 from dinner to bedtime, and in the
evenings on soccer days we do better with 1:80.

Kay (mom to Jenny, 13, dx'd 2/99)

email @ redacted wrote:

  Marilyn asks:

    Is it possible to correct 1:40 for the a.m. and have a different correction

  bolus the rest of the day?<

  For some people, it isn't.  I would give a new pumper a different correction
  for meals versus exercise vs bedtime based on their routines, lifestyle, and
  the presence of complications  (gastro, heart disease, kidney disease).
  Everyone is different.  If a teen has been physically  active in the
  afternoon, would you want to have a correction factor at bedtime  that is the
  same as one that might be used before meals? Not really.  The correction
  factor might be changed or the target to correct to might be raised. I
  wouldn't want someone to go low during sleep hours as a resullt of an
  over-correction.  The decision to change correction formulas is usually based
  on documented BG history. There is documented information in the medical
  literature about people who go lower during  sleep hours, then rise later in
  the AM.  (Don't ask me for the specific article, I would have to dig
  for it.)
  Everyone can have a variance, depending on activity, etc.  Best to be safe
  than sorry.

  BarbaraB.