Re: [IP] dr bernsteins diet

 I just read this article on medscape about this kind of diet. I am
wondering if extra demands on the kidney is wise for people wth diabetes.
You do need to log-in to get to medscape articles, but I find them very
worthwhile and research based.

Kay

LOW-CARBOHYDRATE, HIGH-PROTEIN DIET DELIVERS A MARKED ACID LOAD TO THE
KIDNEY
Consumption of a low-carbohydrate, high-protein (LCHP) diet delivers an
exaggerated acid load to the kidney, increasing the risk for kidney stone
formation and possibly for bone loss, according to results of a study
published in the August issue of the American Journal of Kidney Diseases.
Reuters Health Information 2002

Jayne Drowns wrote:

  my second question is has anyone read dr bernsteins book

    or followed his low carb diet.im interested in it but concerned
    about the high protein/low carb diet. any ideas? amanda

  Amanda,

  I have followed Bernstein's diet and it worked GREAT!  I have
  recently added some fruit and legumes to my diet because I'm trying
  to conceive (I actually think I could get away with his diet through
  pregnancy, but I figured I'd see whether I could keep my #s good and
  if not I'll go back to his 6-12-12 recommendation).

  I am not at all concerned about the high protein/low carb aspect of
  his diet.  An awful lot of people have been getting deathly ill (with
  heart/blood pressure problems and type II diabetes, for example) on
  the highly touted high carb/low fat diet.  I'll take my chances -
  especially because I have looked and felt a million times better
  since starting this diet.  Also, my A1C went from 12s to 5.8.  I
  figure it's saving my life.

  Whatever you decide, best of luck!  And if you have any Qs, feel free
  to email me.

  Jayne.
  type I since 4/14/93
  pumping since 4/10/02