[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #557Great school news

       I am a first grade teacher going into my 16th year of teaching. I am
also a diabetic for the past 26 years on the pump for 1. Anyway...I have
NEVER heard of a school hiring a nurse just for a diabetic student. In my
opinion (and that's all it is)! I would feel very strongly that a diabetic
child should not have his own nurse at school and for field trips. I have
dealt with many children with various illnesses over the years. I would think
that a parent of a diabetic would not want their child treated soooo
differently than the other children. The school nurse is ALWAYS a trained
professional and should be able to handle a diabetic emergency if needed. I
urge you to reconsider a one on one nurse for a diabetic student. As a child
I DID NOT want adults to treat me differently than the other children in
Just a diabetic teachers opinion.