[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #556

> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:08:35 -0400
> From: "Alderson Arts" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Some pumping questions I have
>
> Hi,
>     I'm still on the Humulin R & NPH twice a day and I desperately want the
> control that I think a pump can give me. Prospects are looking better that I
> may be able to get a pump.
>     I've narrowed my pump decision down to the Animas or the Paradigm. The
> paradigm is waterproof to 8 feet for 24 hours now according to a company rep
> so that was one more thing I was looking for. However, in the Animas video a
> guy drops the pump on the floor to show its durability so I was wondering if
> there is any specs on which one holds up better to a drop to the floor.
>     Also, is there anything to Minimed's Bio-Pulse delivery system instead of
> the 3 minute delivery system?
>     I'm concerned a little about site irritation and infection because I have
> had cellulitis twice in the past year, and whenever I pull off a securely
> stuck bandage I get a slight bruising sometimes.
>     I was looking at the time for a paradigm to detect an occlusion in the CD
> version of the user manual. The Paradigm will not sound a No Delivery alarm
> until 3 units are missed. The graph shows that at a 0.1 u/h delivery rate that
> could be 30 hours before an alarm. Does the Animas fair better in this
> regard?
>     One last thing (For now anyway <grin>) I wear jeans mostly and I would
> like to wear the pump on my belt. I'm a big guy and am concerned about
> occlusions. If I wear the pump on my belt the tubing will have to go down
> inside my pants, under my t-shirt, and back up passed my belt to the infusion
> site. Has anyone had trouble with this?
>     Thank you for your patience with an anxious wannabe pumper,
>
>     Cody S. Alderson

Cody,
  I have been using a MiniMed pump for the last 6 years. I started with
the 507C, now have the 508 and will be switching to the Paradigm next
month. Over the years I have dropped my pumps on the floor many, many
times, both on carpet and on hard wood flooring. I have NEVER had it
stop working! I am lucky to work where I can wear jeans all the time. I
always wear my pump on my belt with the tubing down my leg and I have
again NEVER had an occlusion alarm. I don't think you have anything to
worry about. Get your pump and enjoy the freedom it gives you!!!!!!

Karen in North Pole, Alaska
Dx'ed in 1971
Pumping since 1996