[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #556

Nancy, I am in the same situation in that I was just hired by our local
school district to be a 1:1 for a child entering kindergarten with an
insulin pump.  It seems that up until now, most pumping students have been a
little older and able to handle calculating boluses, etc., on their own.
I was hired because I am an RN and have been on a MiniMed 508 for 2 years.
Used to be a CDE.  I know I am overqualified for this job, but am just
re-entering the job market after 12 years of staying home.
I am curious as to how other school districts are handling the situation
where very young children are entering with pumps.  It's not just the
question of who will give the bolus and figure out corrections, but who will
assess these children for high/low blood sugars?
Any input would be appreciated.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on
how to solve this.  I actually have heard of a family in another area of the
country that was told they could not have their child in school with a pump
and ended up home schooling them!  That is not a reasonable solution.
Thanks.  Kathy R.
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:01:34 -0500
> From: "Nancy Leach" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Great School News!
  Anyway, long story short, they are hiring a nurse