Re: [IP] closed loop

> At 04:43 PM 8/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >uh...excuse me...how can this be used for description as it is not on the
> >market....what is your basis for making such a statement? How do you
> >*reliable*? Seems the way Animas is going about this is *reliable* in
> >the readings are correct....so, I would like more info, please....
> >Beverly
> >

> >    want more info, no prob...www.insulinfree.org (diabetes portal)
> >
> >   then click on mechanical devices, (articles about...)
> >
> >  and the first 3 articles at the top of the page talk about the
> > and progress of the closed loop system...primarily about minimeds
> > progress...check it out.
> But please please keep in mind that you cannot believe everything your
> read.  I do not want to start another war on this list.  It just truly
> breaks my heart for all newbies that go out and read this stuff, believe
> what they read and then years later are crushed.  I only know this from
> being crushed and so disappointed in my 40 years of diabetes.  So read
> an open mind and remember there is always a twist on this articles to make
> their product look better.
> Fran

Good point Fran. There is a lot of hopeful claims out there by people who
either don't have all the facts or don't reveal them and I don't think they
realize how devastatingly disappointing that sort of misrepresentation can

However, In this case I am much more hopeful than in most - The closed loop
system does not need radical, paradigm shifting discoveries or insights to
be successful. It needs solutions to several well defined technical
problems - how to make a sensor work in a hostile environment, how to design
a robust control algorithm, how to accurately deliver  precise doses, how to
achieve VERY high reliability, etc. But these are all the kinds of problems
that engineers and entrepreneurs and inventors have been solving for years.
So I fully expect them to solve these as well. Perhaps not as quickly as
some hope but probably in years and not decades.