[IP] Re: Ahunned

On 8/21/02 11:56 AM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:14:24 -0400
> From: "Barbara Pancari" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Re: kids with diabetes being shunned
> Hi, all -
> I'm reading with dismay your reports of your children being excluded from
> activities - even friendships - because of their diabetes, in addition to
> threats by medical personnel of terrible consequences.  This is very
> distressing.

I think it is also a case of demographics. Out here in CA, the "Surf/Skinny"
look was "IN" and long, straight blond, sun-streaked hair was the ideal.
When everyone ironed their hair and put 'Sun-In' (A peroxide treatment to
'blonde' up hair), laid in the sun for hours etc...etc... With beautiful
blue or brown eyes. Add Jenny, 15; a fat 'teen at 5'3" and 250lbs, with
naturally curly hair and 'dancing eyes' from severe astagmus into the

This equated to taunts of "Retard!", "Freak!", "it" and other lovely
original names. Objects thrown at me and bugs crushed into my clothes and
hair...., and no, I was not invited anywhere either. Because my eyes
'danced' around so much, I was constantly questioned about what "dope" I was
on too (!!)

No, it is NOT just diabetes, I didn't have diabetes until the age of 28. My
only 'crime' was being 'different'. Kids were and still are to some extent,

Failure is not an option....It comes bundled with the software...
                                              ---Bill Gates (?)

Jenny Sutherland