Re: [IP] Re: kids with diabetes being shunned

In a message dated 8/21/02 12:15:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> As far as school, there was no hassle from teachers or fellow students.  I
> never considered myself and was never considered different from any other
> student - just with a specific "condition" that needed MY attention - no
> one else's.  As far as friends and friends' parents, there was no trouble
> there, either.

I think back to my brother's dx'd in 1955 and I think the difference between
then and now is....back then things were done because it was the right thing
to do......people as a rule worked not just arrived so they could collect a
paycheck......now it seems that you have to prove legally the care is
required or they won't do it...I have had teachers tell me they were too busy
to remember not to give her candy in kindy or the instruction she missed
because of trip to clinic.... and on and on......never happened with my
now ten!