Re: [IP] RE: High BG and Complications

In a message dated 8/20/02 10:24:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> in the rapidity with which we develop complications
> (and I think I've got pretty good ones), the effort
> that we put in to getting and maintaining good control
> plays a significant role as well.  JMHO.  <<<
> Some time ago, there was a thread about research dollars and how unwisely
> much of it was spent on unnecessary studies rather than the bulk of it
> going to find a cure.  The DCCT was given as an example of an unnecessary
> study.  It was declared unnecessary because everyone in the trenches
> already
> KNEW that tight control prevented or delayed complications.  It now seems
> that we must revise our thinking because many are convinced that its our
> genes, and not good BG control, that is the determining factor.  Like
> Kathy,
> I think its both.  Some genes, like the ones that determine our height, we
> will have no sway over.  Others, like the ones that set us up for
> complications, can be influenced by our actions.  Genes may determine that
> under certain circumstances complications will develop.  Its our job to
> change the circumstances.  We have the ability to control those
> circumstances.  The threshold is probably different for each individual,
> which might explain why one will develop complications no matter how
> tightly
> they maintain their BGs and another who is much less conscientious escapes
> free.  In all cases, however, the tighter our control the better our
> chances.  I dont think its wise to be fatalistic and chalk it all up to
> genes when we have the power and the tools to possibly alter our outcomes.
> Nevertheless, after we did all that we could, and still got some
> complications, then we ought to be comfortable knowing that our genes
> overruled our best efforts and we should have no guilt.  If an individual
> wants to experience diabetes casually, thats fine too so long as they do
> it
> knowingly.
> John Kinsley
> Type 1 - 1956
> MiniMed 507 - 1998

I think this whole issue is a YMMV. My Grandfather was 86 when he passed in
1955. My father had heart problems and had one of the first pacemakers in
1964. He was 55 at his passing in 1965. Two years ago I was told I had two
blockages in the main arteries of my heart. I did a stress test 2 weeks ago
and because of folic acid and liptor my two 25% blockages have disappeared. I
also feel genetics are important, but it is a combination of care + genes
that gets the best results. In April of 2000 I was in pain almost every night
with my feet. I have dropped my A1c to 5.9 for the last 9 months and I have
not had any pain in the past 6 months. I take no med.'s for pain as I never
found one to work. Genes had nothing to do with the loss of pain tight
control did. I have been lucky to have the gene for no complications? I am
kidding after 54 3/4 years of diabetes I am not sure who to thank genes or
all the DR's in Boston? I kid you again I thank GOD! Roger C (dx 1/12/47 PM
5/7/00) still towing the hockey puck