[IP] RE: High BG and Complications

Kathy Fagan wrote:
>>>  While I do believe that genetics plays a critical part
in the rapidity with which we develop complications
(and I think I've got pretty good ones), the effort
that we put in to getting and maintaining good control
plays a significant role as well.  JMHO.  <<<

Some time ago, there was a thread about research dollars and how unwisely
much of it was spent on unnecessary studies rather than the bulk of it
going to find a cure.  The DCCT was given as an example of an unnecessary
study.  It was declared unnecessary because everyone in the trenches already
KNEW that tight control prevented or delayed complications.  It now seems
that we must revise our thinking because many are convinced that its our
genes, and not good BG control, that is the determining factor.  Like Kathy,
I think its both.  Some genes, like the ones that determine our height, we
will have no sway over.  Others, like the ones that set us up for
complications, can be influenced by our actions.  Genes may determine that
under certain circumstances complications will develop.  Its our job to
change the circumstances.  We have the ability to control those
circumstances.  The threshold is probably different for each individual,
which might explain why one will develop complications no matter how tightly
they maintain their BGs and another who is much less conscientious escapes
free.  In all cases, however, the tighter our control the better our
chances.  I dont think its wise to be fatalistic and chalk it all up to
genes when we have the power and the tools to possibly alter our outcomes.
Nevertheless, after we did all that we could, and still got some
complications, then we ought to be comfortable knowing that our genes
overruled our best efforts and we should have no guilt.  If an individual
wants to experience diabetes casually, thats fine too so long as they do it

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998