[IP] Islet Cells

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:37:15 EDT
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Islet Cells

I need to comment about this article from The Globe.  It talks about the
cells, or islet cells and how to 'grow' new ones or figure out how they turn
on and off....something like that.  Anyway, is that really the key to
diabetes?  I mean, my understanding is that this is an auto-immune system
where the body's own immune system has arbitrarily decided to attack its own
islett cells thus shutting them down and thus the need for external
of insulin.  Well, wouldn't the key factor for this be then to figure out
the body chose the islett cells to attack, and how to stop the immune system
from attacking its own body parts.  It would not matter whose cells were in
your body (ie; cell transplant or cloned cells) if the autoimmune system is
whacked out then those cells are not any safer than the ones you were born
with, right????  Or am I missing something.  I think the key is figuring out
the immune system and how to stop it from attacking ANY cells!!!!

mom to Joshua
the body is an amazing machine and islet cells work in groups. they are
close to each other in islets for an important reason. when a single cell
secretes insulin, it turns the other cells in the islet on to secrete
insulin. when islet cells leak certain enzymes, these are mismatched to
immune protein in the body's killer T cells. this starts an immune cascade
that destroys islet cells. This is far from arbitrary usually some viral
antigen is needed to start the cascade. the reason why it seems to come on
with from some nothing cold or virus. If you turn off the immune resonse you
would die very quickly, this is what is wrong in aids.aids is the loss of
the immune system. So, i don't think that is a good plan. there is no
preventive measure or it would be used. its all in heredity, you inherit a
certain haplotype with certain built in immune factors.
 it has nothing to do with anything anyone did, It is nature gone crazy.

A. L. Bender, M. D.