[IP] Re: angiogram

Babs wrote:

> My cardiologist said I could stay connected just lower my basals that

I talked to the anesthesiologist (in May) and I more or less played it by
ear. I went in overnight (okayed by ins. co. due to my DM) and they had
prescheduled me for 9:00 a.m. - but they didn't let me eat anything, of
course. I checked my BG and went accordingly. If I was in my target range, I
think I decreased maybe 10-25% - not too much cuz the stress of it causes
highs. I was extremely groggy - not *completely* out - didn't really know a

>  So,  do I lower my basal at
> 7am and hope I get in right away otherwise I'll be 200+ in a few hours. Or
> do I wait till they actually call me in to lower my basals?

This is where *you* know your body better than they and they are going by
what they normally do for John/Jane Doe. Lowering your basals to be
effective, needs to be done about 2 hrs. ahead. That's where frequent
testing comes in. Take your meter and do your own tests - take one each hour
if need be so you are comfortable knowing. At another surgery I was 169
before and told the anesth. that I didn't do anything about it. I was 134
afterwards so I was happy - so was he. Trust your meter and your best
judgment. It still would be good if you could have contact with the anesth

> I assume I
> should only have the juice if I'm low when I wake up but, if they haven't
> taken me by noon can I drink some juice and bolis for it.?

I'd do this conservatively - very.

> I've called my CDE but she hasn't called back yet.
> But, another piece of
> the puzzle is that I live 200 miles away from where I'm having the
> done so, she's not that familiar with the procedure. I live in a town of
> 12,000 but she was voted Mn State CDE of the year.

Because your problem isn't as real to her as it is to you????? Also,
remember most of the people involved during this procedure are not that
familiar with pumps nor rapid-acting insulin. Two nurses in dialysis have
questioned me on my use of Humalog - they correct me to mean HumuLIN. I say,
NO! It's HumaLOG. I now have a carton in my bag to show them next time. I'm
educating them on the pump. That's my job! (~_^)

DISCLAIMER:  This information is not intended to substitute for informed
medical advice. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a
health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified health care