re:[IP] Not Again! Please Help!

Hi Carrie,

We use the "butt sites" with Sils on my five year old son. We have never
been able to get the micros to work for more than a day or so without having
trouble due to crimping, so we only use Sils now. We use almost exclusively
his butt/hip since the insertion is less painful for him there.

I have not been following posts well lately, but have you tried changing
insulin? I tried Novolog on Ryan for a few days, and it was a big mistake
for us. He got huge lumps at the site. He had some strange sensitivity to
Novolog that he does not have to Humalog.

One other long shot for you (and YMMV!) ... we fell into using completely
wrong basals when we were trying to get the micros to work. That made it
really hard to tell what problems were due to doses versus bad sites. We'd
have great numbers one day and crappy ones the next. We had to basically
start over on basal adjustments once we went back to the Sils. To top it
off, you can't use the adult method of fasting basal tests on my son - they
just won't work - so it was really difficult to spot the problem at first.
There was a great abstract of adjusting basals for young kids published on
the ADA recently - it confirmed that kids basal rate requirements are much
different than adults. But, that may not be your issue at all - just figured
I'd throw it out there. Send me a note if you want to talk about it more.

Good luck to you!
Mom to Ryan (5 and pumping since 8/17/00), and Celia (8 and non-diabetic)