Re: [IP] closed loop system!

At 02:26 AM 8/19/02, you wrote:
>My understanding is that it Would be more "accurate".  You would have no
>loss or delays of absorption.  It would be assimilated by the liver almost
>instantly. That,
>combined with ~Reliable~ monitoring (I think I would want fail-safe double
>or triple sensors) could provide real time control.  No more
>rollercoaster, no rebounds.  Disetronic
>has done their Diaport for several years.  That still has the problems of
>infections, but it may offer some the control that they need in their
>rollercoaster lives even with a
>pump.  No problems of bent cannulas, nicked veins and bleeders, no
>hypotrophy or atrophy, no pooling, no rapid dumping of stored
>insulin.  Just the increased risks of a
>deadly serious infection.
>I'll stick with SubQ for now.    :>)

I think that until they solve the problem of a more reliable delivery
system, they will not have success with a closed-loop system.  There are
still too many variables with the current SubQ delivery that we're using
now.  Interesting thing, about a year ago I saw an Orthopedic doctor for my
frozen shoulder (my other frozen shoulder since they've both been that way
one time or another) and we were talking about a teenage family member of
his who was Type 1.  Seems her family was having a hard time getting her to
"knuckle under" and do what she was supposed to do to take care of her
diabetes.  I mentioned the pump and said that it was much easier (although
not less work) to have a relatively "normal" life.  He said that her doctor
had said she should wait to get on a pump until they had the closed-loop
pump out later that year.  That's as bad as the cure in 5 years!