Re: [IP] closed loop system!

On 18 Aug 2002 at 22:58, email @ redacted wrote:

> Roselea, the lining of the peritoneal cavity is highly vascularized,
> so fluid and chemicals get taken up rather quickly, usually within
> minutes.  It's not that it would be better or more accurate--just
> faster.  Whether it is fast enough is what people are looking into.
> And infections in the peritoneal cavity can be very very serious, so
> ways to avoid that are also being looked into.
> -wayne
> <<<<<<<<Thanks for clarifying that, Jim.  So, would delivery into the
> peritoneum be better and more accurate than the subcutaneous delivery
> we currently
> use?  I'm not sure I understand how the body would absorb the insulin from
> that type of delivery system.
> RoseLea>

My understanding is that it Would be more "accurate".  You would have no loss or delays of absorption.  It would be assimilated by the liver almost instantly. That,
combined with ~Reliable~ monitoring (I think I would want fail-safe double or triple sensors) could provide real time control.  No more rollercoaster, no rebounds.  Disetronic
has done their Diaport for several years.  That still has the problems of infections, but it may offer some the control that they need in their rollercoaster lives even with a
pump.  No problems of bent cannulas, nicked veins and bleeders, no hypotrophy or atrophy, no pooling, no rapid dumping of stored insulin.  Just the increased risks of a
deadly serious infection.

I'll stick with SubQ for now.    :>)