[IP] preventable?

jayne writes

> people pat themselves on the back for not having complications

I agree, I also feel "lucky" that I don't have more complications than I
do....While there is something valid to be said for diligent, careful control
and excellent management training from day 1, (instead of YEAR 18 as in my
case), the stronger variable is GENETIC.  You either got got genes that are
less susceptible to them sticky proteins, or you don't!  I know people with
diabetes over 30 years with no problems - never had an A1c over 6.5 etc, etc,
 NOT cuz they are any "better" or "smarter" than me (ha)  They are just
luckier, and had better parents (iin the GENE department anyway...)  Then,
there are the plenty of under 10 year diabetics with kidney problems and

The question is not IF you are going to develop complications...it is
WHEN...every time a blood sugar goes over what ever that magic number (and
each person's is different), some damage is done...you might not even KNOW
that your bg snuck over 140 for an hour yesterday...and during that hour some
sticky proteins did their evil deeds....sure, maybe not til you are 85, and
by then who cares, right!?  you have  lived a good clean life, you are
CERTAINLY allowed to have a few complications then, right??  Do you really
want to live the next 20, 30, 40 years WONDERING if you are 3 points over 140
or wouldnt it be a nicer life if you were slightly easier on yourself and
didn't put so much pressure on yourself?

It is so depressing to read about people who take ecellent care of themselves
from day one, and then they are sticken with gastro or retinopathy out of the
blue....I can understand, and accept, what had led to my eye/kidney problems,
and know that, IN PART, it is my own fault, though I also blame my bad genes,
and my HORRIBLE training as a child in the 70s....but hindsight is
20/20...well 20/40 in my case, but you know what I mean.  I am can not sit
here and beat myself up that I ate all those candy bars and drank all that
beer (I think I did...) cuz LOOK WHERE IT HAS LEFT ME...rather I prefer to
think, OH WELL...live and learn...at least now when i eat a candy bar I can
control the resulting blood sugar rise...and i don't drink beer
anymore...skyy vodka and cranberry is MUCH easier to bolus for.....and the
headache is incredibly worse...

Jayne wrote:
> really don't look forward to the day that the opthalmologist
> tells me there's a problem

he should not have to tell you that...a good opthamologist is going to see
signs of CHANGES before he sees a problem.  In fact, I recommend A RETINA
SPECIAILIST, not a "mere" opthamologist.  If he can address the CHANGES
before they turn into problems then you have less to worry about!  When he
starts seeing neo-vascularization (new blood vessel growth), he may laser
you, or tell you to be a little more diligent in your management....I know
lots of diabetics who were lasered YEARS and YEARS ago and who have not had
any problems SINCE...

same with the kidneys...hopefully everyone on this list is already on an ace
inhibitor, and if not, they have a damn good reason why not.  All the studies
and evidence point towards us taking them as early as possible to PREVENT
damage from happening!!

jayne writes:
> then I've got a complication that, theoretically, I COULD HAVE

Jayne, baby, it has only been 9 years...cut yourself some slack for the next
50 odd years or so!  You have to trust that you ARE doing all you can, and if
a problem presents it self, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!  and even if it is due to
lax control, you still can not live the rest of your life beating yourself up
over what you SHOULD have done!  woulda coulda shoulda...as yoda so
succinctly says, Do or Do Not, There is No Try...We all DO the best we
can....we donb't TRY to take care of ourselves...we DO take care of ourselves
(and some of "us" should not be left with small children.....) but we DO what
we can...Some things are beyond even the best of us...even Wayne!!